Southeastern Electric Cooperative, in the Sioux Falls, SD area, is looking for a Communications Specialist. This professional is crucial for building and maintaining a positive public image, fostering relationships, and conveying information effectively. This position spearheads member education, member communications, public and community relations, and member events.
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Plan, organize, and promote all aspects of the Southeastern Electric Cooperative Annual Meeting.
- Organize member appreciation events and member educational tours.
- Develop, write, and edit monthly content for Southeastern Electric Cooperative Connections
- Manage and maintain Southeastern Electric Cooperative’s website and digital footprint to enhance member engagement.
- Assist in the preparation of marketing programs and written materials such as news articles, brochures and reports that promote Cooperative activities, programs, and services.
- Assume responsibility for and conduct activities which uphold the cooperative’s image throughout the community and with members of the general public.
- Manage donation, sponsorship, and advertising requests.
- Serve as the point of contact for members of the media.
- Manage outage and crisis communications when necessary.
- Organize school presentations and cooperative youth programs.
- Manage Southeastern Electric Cooperative’s scholarship programs.
- Direct and organize safety education events for youth and members of the general public.
- Participate in political advocacy, outreach, and educational events for lawmakers on the local, state, and federal levels.
- Monitor news and community/current events that may impact the Cooperative.
- Keep Manager of Member Services & IT adequately informed of department activities and progress.
- Review member complaints and takes corrective action, when required, or make recommendations Manager of Member Services & IT regarding complaint.
- Analyze the public’s understanding and acceptance of policies, plans, objectives, and programs.
- Analyze department activities to determine areas of improvement. Make recommendations for improvements in the department.
- Promote safe working practices and report immediately all accidents involving department personnel, equipment, and/or materials and supplies to Manager of Member Services & IT.
- Maintain a level of continuing education to keep informed on current developments in related areas.
- And More!
Here’s what you’ll need to be successful:
- Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to learn quickly and apply seasoned judgement as necessary to complete tasks and projects timely and correctly with minimal supervision.
- Valid South Dakota driver’s license.
- Manage difficult and emotional customer situations.
- Willing to pursue the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association (NRECA) Certified Cooperative Communicator certification.
- Personable and well respected within the communities we serve.
Here’s what will get you noticed:
- Demonstrated aptitude for strategic thinking
- Success building campaigns for presence, growth and image.
- Impeccable grammar and overall well spoken.
- Successful working knowledge in all social media platforms.
- Proven success being a forward-facing, positive image for an organization.
- Strong interpersonal and communication experience in effectively communicating key information to a wide range of both internal and external customers
Here’s what we offer:
- Competitive Pay of $75k-$85k/yr. DOE
- Medical, Life, LTD, STD, Pension Plan, 401k Plan and AFLAC
- Employer HSA contributions
- Wellness Program Incentives
- Paid Vacation, Sick and Holidays
Southeastern belongs to an alliance of more than 750 Touchstone Energy cooperatives in 46 states. Touchstone Energy provides a unified face for the small businesses that own and service rural America’s 2.5 million miles of power line. By working jointly, this network of small co-ops generate services that would normally require the resources of a national corporation.
Touchstone Energy co-ops are owned by the members they serve and are committed to providing reliable electricity at the lowest price possible. In short, co-ops “look out” for the members they serve.
The Cooperative is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Cooperative will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourage both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.